“Fun Facts Saturday”
I love proverbs. A proverb is a pithy phrase containing profound truths. There is/are a plethora of proverbs.
My favorite Arab proverb is, “Trust Allah, but tie the camel’s leg.” My favorite English proverb is, “He who pays the piper, calls the tune.”
Here are my top 10 favorite Chinese proverbs.
- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back
- The best memory is not as good as faded ink
- Easy to know men’s faces, not their hearts
- Easy to believe in heaven’s law, but so hard to keep
- Fish see the worm, not the hook
- A clear conscience never fears the knock at the door
- Food cures hunger, study cures ignorance
- One man tells a lie, dozens repeat it as the truth.
- When you waste someone’s time, you take what you cannot return
- One generation plants the trees, another gets the shade
P.S. My favorite Chinese Curse (apocryphal): “May you live in interesting times.”